Here's what's new in the latest version of STARInsight.
Save Query Button
You build Analysis Sets by selecting metadata "facets" on the Search page sidebar. Every time you select a facet within the same data project, you are creating an AND operator. Selecting a facet from a different data project creates an OR operator. As you select more facets, this can start to get complicated.
We added a "Copy Query" button on the Search page. When you click it, STARInsight copies your current query to your clipboard. You can then send it to somebody else so that they can reproduce the same analysis set.
Filter Set Used
In a recent release we made Filter Set selection available when launching apps like Principal Component Analysis. Filter sets allow you to discard variants outside a range specified by a BED file, below a certain quality score, etc.
Results reports now show the Filter Set used in any particular analysis job.
Improvements to Column Selection
STARInsight supports flexible metadata standards: metadata can vary on a project-by-project basis. The only required fields are "Project ID" and a unique record identifier that ties back to the VCF ingested into STARInsight.
Because metadata standards can vary, STARInsight allows you to customize the metadata columns that appear on the Search and Analysis Set Details pages. Two changes in this release make this more straightforward. First, Project ID and Sample ID appear by default on these tables. Second, STARInsight now remembers your column preferences for the duration of a session.
Reorder Filter Widgets
Now you can reorder Pre-Processing filter widgets by dragging them around.
New Data Object for the Notebook
STARInsight has a notebook interface for performing custom analysis on genomic data stored within the product. The best part about the notebook is that you can use code you've written in R or Python to analyze the data. There's no need to convert your code into an unfamiliar language.
Variant data brought into the notebook is now available as a temporary "variants" table in SparkSQL. This means that, after first launching the notebook, you can retrieve variants using familiar SQL queries instead of other time consuming transformations.
Other Usability Improvements
- Tooltips have been added through the product to hint at controls which may be unfamiliar to some users.
- Logical operators on the Search and Analysis Set Details query bar are now color-coded for easy identification.
- The BED file filter widget now features an "Upload" button.
- A new, easier-to-read, table style is being used throughout the product.
- The "Remove Sample" confirmation modal has been removed from the Analysis Set Details page.
- The Donor Survival Time ICGC metadata field is now sorted in ascending order.
- We added plain English description fields for the ICD-10 disease codes used in ICGC metadata.
Bugs We Fixed
- Filter widgets no longer disappear when moved.
- Column sorting works as expected on job results pages.
- You can now revert back to a "no filter" option when selecting filter sets in a job launch modal.
- ICGC metadata values marked "0" have been relabeled appropriately.
- VCF_UUID values now appear correctly for ICGC data.